Digital marketing requires the development of strategy and tactics to utilise your key resources successfully:
People, time & money!
It Involves integrated technical platforms with channels and tools to attract and develop relationships. This will provide opportunities to maximise customer experience; ultimately attracting, engaging and building customer loyalty and advocacy.
Here are some key considerations to help achieve amazing results with your ‘Digital Marketing Engine’.
1. Define your Dashboard & Reporting by using SOSTAC
SOSTAC (situational analysis, objectives, strategy, tactics, actions and control) is a system for your approach to planning and analysing your digital marketing engine.
Attributed to Dave Chaffey Smart Insights 2017
2. Understand your Customer Life Cycle process
- Customer Awareness
Define different types of customer and how they might find your services or products. Focus on service quality and selection of the most appropriate channels for communication.
- Customer Consideration
Understand who or what your customers use to help make decision about selecting your type of services or products.
- Customer Acquisition
Marketing activities developed to form relationships with potential customers. Minimising acquisition costs and targeting high-value customers.
- Customer Retention
Marketing activities to keep existing customers happy. Identifying relevant offerings based on individual needs and preferences (number and value of transactions).
- Customer Extension
Increasing the depth and range of products that a customer may buy from an organisation
3. Apply the ‘Right Touching’ approach to chat & messaging
Contextual or ‘Sense & Respond’ marketing aims to ensure the right message is delivered at the right time and in the right way.
It works across the defined Customer Life Cycle, which:
• Delivers the… Right Message
• Featuring the… Right Value Proposition (product, service or experience)
• With the… Right Tone
• At the… Right Time
• With the… Right Frequency Interval
• Using the… Right Media/Communications Channels
It provides a framework achieve the ‘Right Balance’ of value between both parties (Dave Chaffey, Smart Insights)
4. Use the benefits of Chat & CRM to support customer engagement
Digital platforms enable relationship marketing, integrating your customer database with websites and chat to create a targeted and personalised approach. Benefits of a CRM (Customer Relationship Management) system to marketing include:
• Targeting more cost-effectively
• Mass customisation of marketing messages to appropriate ‘personalised’ target audiences
• Increased depth & breadth of information
• Deeper customer understanding and more relevant communications - developed through a ‘sense’ and ‘respond’ approach
• Lower-cost – more cost effective than tradition ‘outbound’ methods
• Delivering loyalty programmes
• Opportunities for ‘gamification’ – applying game-based thinking to engage and stimulate engagement.
5. Utilise a Website CMS (Content Management System)
Content management is the process of creating, relevant, interesting and informative content. Quality is key and provides an engaging platform for reaching customers, gaining attention and promoting interaction.
Website content management systems enable analysis and interpretation of activity optimizing opportunities for involvement in key communication through activities, such as: Websites, blogs, webzines, newsletters, social media and email marketing.
WCM systems enable businesses to develop analytics, improve customer experience and generate rich data, which informs multi-media integration, tactical and strategic planning, enabling the development of the competitive edge needed to survive in an increasingly digitally driven market place.
6. Connect with your customers through chat, social media & email
Developing your presence on social media channels or chat(direct message) will generate conversations and enable participation, retain interest and generate advocacy and loyalty. This provides opportunities to develop reach and increase activity, but also presents the challenge of losing some control over messaging and content, as audiences are more and more involved.
Email marketing is one of today’s key communications for re-targeting to develop deeper relationships of subscribers with a brand and deliver commercial returns. Email offers a range of opportunities for developing prospects and customer marketing.
• Targeted and personalised approach (even with mass customisation)
• Providing customer conversations and feedback
• Consistent customer experience
• Developing customer profitability, opportunities for re-targeting and cross-selling
• Encouraging participation leading to customer advocacy (recommendation)
• Innovation/disruption, organizations can invite their customers to provide ideas
• Lower cost: less expensive than traditional outbound marketing
(Chaffey D. Ellis-Chadwick F. 2012. Digital Marketing Strategy, Implementation & Practice. Pearson)
7. Always consider Security & Compliance!
Digital activities to drive the development of a successful digital marketing engine can only take place with the overarching awareness, implementation and management of suitable security.
Protect against possible web vulnerabilities and ensure customers and company details are protected. Trust is vital to customer retention.
Managing data to ensure confidentiality and security must also be engineered within your engine, making sure you are compliant with Data Protection regulations and legal challenges ahead:
It is vital to meet policy (Data Protection Act 1998 & GDPR May 2018), avoid potential risk to your organisation and your customers.
General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
Ensuring Consent, Compliance & Evidence
Content marketing today can be seen as the fuel for all your core digital marketing activities like search, social media, email and landing page marketing.Get it right and it will build an audience and by engaging them, encourage them to buy and share content with others while creating rich insight to help create more relevant recommendations.
A well designed, developed and managed digital engine forms the heart of any successful 21st Century business. The Bison Grid approach to digital engine development and management enables;secure, collaborative, agile and multi-channel communication, embracing CRM, data integration and analysis. Campaign management and data analytics are the life-blood fuelling the engine, Creating energy to drive creativity and efficiency, supported through technical competence at every stage of the customer life-cycle and beyond.
Security and protection (existing and potential) of your business is integral to the development, management and maintenance of any digital engine. Ensuring secure and efficient processes and digital interfaces is key to enveloping your central business core. Creation of a secure digital engine involves development of a digital infrastructure to enable safe reliable management of internal and external activities and data, promoting the translation of business objectives and strategy into long-term success.